Friday, August 03, 2012 

Why I'd like to be more like a dragonfly

It's Friday (99 days till the wedding).  On Friday's I've decided to try to write something inspirational to keep me going on this flight to healthy living.  I found a beautiful silver dragonfly necklace the other day.  It came in as a donation and I was instantly drawn to it.  I'm usually a butterfly girl as butterflies symbolize new life and this diet journey certainly will give me new life and vitality.

On doing some research on dragonflies I've decided that it is a better symbol for me.  The dragonfly in almost every part of the world symbolizes change, emotional maturity, and an understanding of the deeper meaning of life.

Power and Poise....The dragonfly's agile flight and its ability to move in all six directions exude a sense of power and poise-something that comes only with age and maturity.  The dragonfly can move at an amazing 45 miles an hour, hover like a helicopter, fly backwards like a hummingbird, fly straight up, down and on either side.  It can do all this while flapping it's wings a mere 30 times a minute while a mosquito and housefly need to flap their wings 600 to 1000 times a minute.

Focus on living in the moment....the dragonfly normally lives most of its life as a nymph.  It flies only for a fraction of its life and usually not more than a few months. Because of the brevity of it's life and it's abilities the dragonfly symbolizes living in the moment and living life to it's fullest without regrets.

The opening of one's eyes.....the eyes of the dragonfly are amazing.  80% of the insect's brain power is dedicated to its sight and it can see in all 360 degrees around it.  This symbolizes the ability to see beyond the limitations that we place on our self.  There are lots more information that can be found here .


So why would a dragonfly apply to me?.... As you can see by the picture of the dragonfly I chose, I don't have a healthy self esteem.  I see myself as a fat little bug with tiny barely functional wings.  I desperately need change , emotional maturity , power and poise.   My body is changing but it's very easy for me to get discourage and quit.  I need to rise above my limitations, quit looking at the obstacles, change my perspective and look beyond my self for power and strength.  The poise part....comes with confidence and success.  So I may be a fat little bug with tiny wings now but watch how I'll change in the coming weeks.  Wish me luck I'm on my weigh.

About me

  • I'm Lazy Daisy
  • From Elizabethton, TN, United States
  • I am a married, empty Nester, missionary, living on the hillside of Tennessee, with lots of homespun humor and hopefully some insights!
  • My profile
  • Email me
  • My Flickr photos
  • Lazy Daisy Log


  • Links


    eXTReMe Tracker
    Powered by Blogger
    and Blogger Templates