Thursday, August 16, 2007 

You know you are a slave to your scale .....



I admit to being obsessive compulsive when it comes to weighing and diets. I know deep in my heart of hearts that weighing myself every day is not a good thing. Why should I allow a piece of metal determine my self worth?

I tell myself I do it so I can catch any slip up right away. That it will stop me from destructive behavior.

But as soon as I step on the scale the destructive behavior begins.

If the scale is up.....I'm down.
If the scale in down....I'm up.

Sad.....but true. It's almost like a crystal ball...." Tell me , am I allowed to like myself today?"

Whatever the number, my reaction is often to eat-to celebrate if the news is good and to comfort myself if the news is bad. Whenever I step on the scale, I give my power away. I'm either Rocky on a victory lap or a beached whale trapped on a sand bar.

I know that weighing myself on a daily basis is a form of insanity. I already know what I ate or didn't eat, whether I exercised or indulged in chocolate cake. I know if my jeans are snugger than they were or exactly the same as last week. So why do I go through this ritual dance of stepping on the scale and praying to the god of gravity to make the number less?

Every day I have the power to decide how I feel and how I choose to spend my day- I am allowed to like myself today. I belong here....to experience love, joy, peace, health and connection to people I love. Allow yourself to know what you already know!

Daisy Dilemma: If I know this....why don't I do it?

Labels:

Drat! You're still Human, huh? Keep trying! ;)
Love you!

First of all, this is really well-written. And so much of it reminds me of Romans where Paul asks, "Why is it I do what I do not want to do?" An age-old question. I can relate to so much of this because I am a former Weight Watchers meeting room leader. So everything from weighing daily to all the rest--I totally get it. Thanks for processing your thoughts here so we can feel, "AAh, someone else goes through this, too!"

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Lazy Daisy
  • From Elizabethton, TN, United States
  • I am a married, empty Nester, missionary, living on the hillside of Tennessee, with lots of homespun humor and hopefully some insights!
  • My profile
  • Email me
  • My Flickr photos
  • Lazy Daisy Log


  • Links


    eXTReMe Tracker
    Powered by Blogger
    and Blogger Templates