Wednesday, October 04, 2006 

The Right Stuff....

Pictured to the Left is a movie poster about astronauts called "The Right Stuff".

The implications are that astronauts are a rare breed, highly skilled, trained and disciplined to do space travel. (or as Scripture would say, "many are called but few are chosen")

Few of us will ever travel into space (although I have been accused of being "a space cadet" many times). However most of us know the right thing to do, even if we don't always do it.

In almost every area of our lives, God puts within us an unspoken nudge toward doing what we know is right. Unfortunately , though, an unspoken rebellion inside of us nudges us in a different direction. I can so relate to what Paul says in Romans 7 "My own behaviour baffles me. For I find myself doing what I really hate but not doing what I really want to do.....I often find that I have the will to do good, but not the power. That is, I don't accomplish the good I set out to do, and the evil I don't really want to do I find I am always doing." (VV15-19)

In the areas of eating and exercise I know all too well what is right and healthy. I've read countless books and articles on the subject. I want to act wisely and apply the principles I've learned yet in spite of my excellent intentions my behaviour runs counter to what I know is best. Is it lack of discipline? Am I missing a "diet gene"? Where is my "won't power?"

Prayer: Help me Lord, to let go of my stress and worry-all of it. Give me that quiet assurance, that inner peace, that releases me from every urge to act compulsively, especiallly in the area of eating. Keep me in the serene confidence that you are in control.

Hmmmm... I dunno... Ya know, I've been heavy all my life... well, MOST of my life. There was always those few months right after a baby was born when I looked better than I have EVER looked before or since. (i can't gain weight when i'm pregnant! i lose and lose and the doctors yell!) I'd tried to diet, but I just couldn't DO it! Never would it stick! It was the same with smoking. I smoked for 20 years ... tried to quit LOTS of times but couldn't DO it. Then one day I just knew... I woke up with that "resolve"... that DETERMINATION! It wasn't that I was GONNA quit smoking -- I had already quit! I never lit up again. That was 14 years ago. And for SOME reason, when I started my weightloss THIS time, I wasn't dieting. I haven't "thought" of it as dieting since day one. IN my mind, I'm NOT dieting. I'm just eating healthy. I've given up the old way and this is my new way! THAT is the difference. People ask me allllllll the time "So how'd ya do it THIS time Melli?" ... well there it is. I didn't really "think" of it until just now, when I read your post. I was already "resolved" before I started. I had already begun to make small changes before Amanda even got home. I was already DETERMINED that I was going to be healthy. I was going to exercise, and I was GOING to ENJOY it! That was the plan. The plan was to change my way of living. And the "resolve" was already there. Pray for resolution. And I will too!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Lazy Daisy
  • From Elizabethton, TN, United States
  • I am a married, empty Nester, missionary, living on the hillside of Tennessee, with lots of homespun humor and hopefully some insights!
  • My profile
  • Email me
  • My Flickr photos
  • Lazy Daisy Log


  • Links


    eXTReMe Tracker
    Powered by Blogger
    and Blogger Templates